Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thailand Experts - Help: Malaria and stray dogs...

Hi guys,





Stray dogs in Bangkok. Are they a problem? Should I be worried about walking around at night or day? We are staying at the Bel-Aire Princess. I am not getting a rabies shot so I will be petrified if at every street corner there is a pack of rabid dogs waiting to infest me with their seedy disease.





I also posted the below message on the Chiang Mai forum but it has been quiet there lately so I thought a Bangkok local might be able to help out.





If you can I would really appreciate it.





-------------------------





We are travelling to Thailand in February. We%26#39;re staying at Baan Rai Lanna for three nights and at Tamarind Village for seven nights before moving to Sukhothai for three nights.





My main concern is malaria tablets. I know that I won%26#39;t need them for Chiang Mai. However, what about Baan Rai Lanna and Sukhothai? Am I at danger of getting malaria in these places? We are not treking. We will probably be visiting an elephant camp (from BRL) and riding bikes around (BRL and SUK). My doctor has given me a prescription for malaria tablets.





Next question is about stray dogs. How much of a problem are these things? We want to ride bikes around Chiang Mai and Sukhothai visiting temples and looking at the local life. I am shying away from this idea if at every street corner there is a pack of rabid dogs waiting to give me rabies. I am not getting a rabies shot.



Can someone please give me some info? I leave for my trip in three weeks and have honestly worked myself up into such a state worrying about malaria and rabies and all the other nasties waiting to destroy my holiday! :-(



Thailand Experts - Help: Malaria and stray dogs...


In my opinion, malaria concerns in Thailand are greatly overblown. I believe you will be fine traveling in those areas without taking preventive medication. For what it is worth, I have never taken malaria preventative in Thailand, and have no plans to start. I have traveled in some very out of the way places in Thailand and never had a problem. Some good insect repellant is all that I believe you will need.





As far as stray dogs, they are fairly common. I have never seen a dog that I thought was rabid, but there are certainly stray dogs. If you get bit, then you will probably end up getting rabies shots. Having said that, I have never been bit, or even come close. Be careful around dogs in Thailand. In rural areas, they are not dogs like I think of dogs as pets. They are farm dogs in places where the dog is not always that well taken care of, at least by Western ideas.





I have traveled all over Thailand, slept many nights in rural areas, taken long walks in cities and the countryside, jogged, etc., and have never had a problem with these issues. Certainly they could come up, but if you do have a problem, you can get good medical help. I suggest focus on having a great vacation, while knowing that problems could happen anywhere. Rabies is a problem in wild animals where I live, and something you have to be aware of with dogs, but I have never seen a rabid animal personally.





Have a great trip, and I do not think you need to worry too much about these issues. If you do get bit by a dog (unlikely) definitely go see a doctor, and do not wait until you get home.



Thailand Experts - Help: Malaria and stray dogs...


Ashrich,





There are 10 of us booked into the ';Baan Rai Lanna%26#39; resort for xmas and new year, including 3 children. I am not even considering malaria tablets. A good insect repellent should be sufficient. Malaria tablets often make you sick as it did with my friend last year. She was so sick she couldn%26#39;t enjoy her holiday. The Baan Rai Lanna is a fairly open place. I never saw a mossie when I stayed last time.



I have also been to Sukhothai and once again have not seen too many mossies. I make sure we all have on insect repellant. Some times you may see some in the restaurants so don%26#39;t sit near the windows. They seem to like the dark corners.



Dogs, my daughter loves animals and at every opportunity she would pat the dogs if she could. From the time she was 2 and now she is 9 she knows that she is NOT to touch any Thai dogs no matter how cute they are. You will see dogs sitting everywhere. They will not bother you if you don%26#39;t bother them! Just step around them. Most of the dogs in the street actually belong to someone, usually the shop owners etc so they won%26#39;t be wanting to eat you for dinner. :)



Stop worrying yourself silly and go and have a great time.




all of the dogs i have seen in thailand have been very docile



most have been sleeping trying to stay cool in the heat.



many dogs on the beaches but have never had any problems



last month In Nai Harn I came back from swimming and there was a dog lying under my beach chair I sat down and he didn%26#39;t move he was sound asleep when he woke up he gave me a sly grin then moved to a vacant chair. at some temples you will find many dogs the Monks take care of them. just follow the old rule ';let sleeping dogs lie'; and should have no problems.




Agree with the above comments on both issues. The dogs at the beaches bark at thais they don%26#39;t know or vendors. They are more likely, as has often been the case with me, walk you safetly back to your resort if walking along the beach late at night. They tend to sleep during the day (heat and all that). Westerners treat them well and they seem to understand that -some Thais really abuse these poor animals, others take care of them. Don%26#39;t worry!




These dogs are free dogs, I would not call them strays, most are happily living their own life. Many are cared for, some have managed to adopt humans.





Use normal common sense and there is no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment