Sunday, March 28, 2010

Tedkarma, re typhoid vaccination

Hi Ted, you said in an earlier post on the subjects of vaccinations that you don%26#39;t need a typhoid vaccination for Phuket. Would you mind elaborating on your reasons. I%26#39;m still undecided about what to do regarding vaccinations. I know this subject has been talked about alot here but I wanted your opinion on the typhoid vaccination because of your post. I know a lot a people say why take the risk but I am of the opinion that the vaccines themselves can be a risk so I want to make the right decision. It was interesting how many of the forum members here didn%26#39;t have any vaccinations before they came (I would actually say most of them that replied didn%26#39;t). Thanks



Tedkarma, re typhoid vaccination


Hi Wells,





I checked up on www.traveldoctor.info regarding recommended vaccinations for phuket and found some useful info. I spoke to one of their clinics at Fremantle (WA) and have made an appointment to discuss and receive all the recommeded vaccinations, in January 2007. I am travelling to Phuket in April 07 so it gives me time to get over any possible side effects.





Cheers





Niko



Tedkarma, re typhoid vaccination


Golf guru, I%26#39;ve looked at lots of website and rang some clinics too. Interestingly the one I am asking Ted about is Typhoid and that doesn%26#39;t appear as a recommended vaccination for Thailand on the website you mentioned however it has appeared on the others that I%26#39;ve looked at. I%26#39;d like to know why it isn%26#39;t on the traveldoctor website.




I%26#39;m not a doctor, and I can%26#39;t really recommend what you should or should not take in terms of vaccinations.





But, I will let you know that I do try to be careful with my health and I take Hep A and B - as well as all the standard vaccinations. I have not seen the need to take a typhoid vaccination as I am not aware of its presence here - nor has my physician here recommended it.





Thus, I have not taken the vaccination.





I am quite aware that there are many websites that recommend that you take just about everything to go just about anywhere. Personally, I suspect that are just covering their bases to avoid a lawsuit.





My opinion only. Don%26#39;t take my advice - I am not a doctor.




Thanks Ted, I was just interested in your reason for not having typhoid vaccinations as I saw a post of yours that said it wasn%26#39;t needed. I promise I won%26#39;t come looking for you if I get sick!!! ;-)



I found it interesting that the website golfguru mentioned only recommended typhoid if staying in Thailand for over a month whereas every other site said typhoid regardless of length of stay. My GP felt that for a 10 day stay in phuket we didn%26#39;t need vaccinations and he is an incredibly cautious and thorough doctor so I do value his opinion but I%26#39;d feel terrible if one of my kids got sick but then again I%26#39;d feel terrible if something went wrong when they had a vaccination. I%26#39;ve appreciated the forum members posts regarding this issue (the majority not having any vaccinations, well those that posted anyway!) and they have no ';butts to cover'; as some would say of our health system/government health websites etc. Thanks for your reply Ted, I appreciate it, as always.




#1 issue - my local GP doesn%26#39;t recommend it. I take his advice. He is here, he knows. It%26#39;s not really a bid deal - when I lived in Africa (Botswana) I took it. It was needed there. But I don%26#39;t take stuff unless there is a reason.





Up to you. Might possibly be something going on I am not aware of.




Make that ';Big deal'; instead of ';bid deal';!

No comments:

Post a Comment