Friday, April 2, 2010

Bringing wine from NZ to Phuket

Hi,we are going to a wedding and wanted to share a couple of bottles with friends,and realise that the duty free limit for wine is 1Litre. Can%26#39;t get litre bottles of Sav Blanc. Is it a problem with customs bringing 2-750 mls bottles per person.Should we declare it and will we have to pay duty? Thanks for advice.



Bringing wine from NZ to Phuket


We took one bottle of spirits and two 750 ml bottles of wine. The spirits we took was a 750ml bottle and had we been stopped I would have argued that we only had two litres of alchohol (there abouts) between the two of us. We werent stopped. Whilst technically a breach I am sure customs wouldnt have done anything.



Bringing wine from NZ to Phuket


hi wireless



we took into phuket 9 bottles of moet champers and 11 bottles of red and a few cheeky whites and never even looked like getting checked.....the allowance is 1 litre spirits/person ...... to me wine isnt a spirit nor champers





cheers capt pugwash




captpugwash... you were very lucky to not have been checked.... the fines for too much alcohol and to many cigarettes are hefty.... not worth the risk. Limit is 1 liter.. no matter if it%26#39;s wine or spirit.




Captpugwash,thanks for your contribution!!I am a carefull traveller and don%26#39;t need any drama,I don%26#39;t think I could do it!!Would a more drama free deal be to take the 2 -750mls bottles and declare it. someone must have taken this moderate approach. But...amazing Capt!!




I don%26#39;t know then correct answer with regard to duty...



What I do know is that it%26#39;s a per bottle tax... so if you buy it there... a cheap and nasty wine is unproportionally expensive..... there are places you can buy wine.... but I tend to drink been and scotch when I%26#39;m there.. and bring a few bottles of good Australian red... so I%26#39;m not sure of the selection available nor of the prices... Recently at the customs in Bali we were asked how much alcohol we had with us... and when we told him that we had just 1 litre (between 2)... his reply was ';not enough';... not sure if he meant not enough to ';sting us';... or not enough to share (with him).. I doubt that he was genuinely concerned if we had enough for ourselves:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment